Chester racecourse is a horseracing track located in Chester, Cheshire, England. It is famously known as the Rodee. The racecourse is owned and managed by Chester Race Company Ltd. Racing there dates way back to the sixteenth century, making it one of the most ancient racing tracks in England. Despite its small size of approximately 1.8 km in length, Chester attracts a tremendous crowd of about 250,000 people in the 15-event season that runs from
May to September. The races held there are strictly flat races. It is seated on a 65-acre piece of land on the banks of River Dee, making it a beautiful venue to watch the races from.
It is said that the ancient Romans established Chester as an anchorage point where they could access the Irish Sea from. This made it a busy trading port, and was later left abandoned as a public land after silt had covered it. Years later, it became a home for the Goteddsday football match, which was banned in 1533 for its violent nature. Horse racing was then introduced in 1539, and the first race was recorded in February of the same year. Since then, races have been taking place every year at Chester racecourse. In 2008, a restaurant was opened up in the racecourse named “1539”. This marked the year in which the first race took place there.
The most notable races held in the racetrack are the Chester Cup and the Cheshire Oaks. The Chester Cup is a handicap race, and was first run in the year 1824. It is run over a distance of 3,746km, and is only open to horses aged four years and above. Cheshire Oaks on the other hand was inaugurated in 1950. It takes place every May, and is open to horses aged three years. The race is run over a distance of 2,281 meters.
The Fakenham racecourse is a thoroughbred racing track for horses located in Fakenham, England. It is owned and operated by the Fakenham Racecourse Ltd. The racecourse is well known for hosting National Hunt races, and is a venue for the famous West Norfolk Hunt. The left-handed racetrack is fairly big having a circumference of 1 mile.
Racing in Fakenham racecourse has been taking place since 1884. The first race that ever happened there took place on an Eater Monday. This was after the racecourse was transferred from East Winch to West Winch due to problems caused by the heavy soil on the course. In 1905, another race meeting took place, attracting a total of 37 runners. Hurdle races were introduced into the racecourse in 1926. Races were held frequently in Fakenham till 1939 when it was affected by the World War outbreak. Racing however resumed back to normal in 1947, and a second meeting besides the Easter Monday one was introduced. This attracted a significant number of people, making it more popular. Renovations were done in 1965. The paddocks were enlarged, and a new grandstand built. These developments made it possible for the number of fixtures to increase from two to five.
Many changes have been taking place in the racecourse since it started hosting race meetings about 110 years ago. For example, it takes pride in its thriving Annual Membership which has put it a step ahead of many racecourses in the country. This year, it is set to host a number of events. On the 8th of May will be the Snellings Norfolk National. Entry badges for this event will be available for bookings online. Children under the age of 18 will be allowed to enter free in the company of a paying adult. Tickets start from 10 Euros, depending on the packages that one chooses for the event.
Plumpton racecourse is a thoroughbred horse racing track located in Plumpton, East Sussex. Being situated near the Plumpton railway station, the racecourse is a convenient destination to many racegoers from London. The station receives trains every hour from London, and therefore people don’t have to wait for a long time before catching
one. Plumpton is famous for hosting National Hunt races. It is left-handed, and measures up to about 1 mile in circumference. Unlike majority of the races, its hurdle track is located outside its chase track. It hosts a total of 16 race meetings each year, starting from September all through to May. It is known to be one of the smallest racecourses in the country, and is used as a training venue for beginners. The racecourse has excellent viewing spots where racegoers can enjoy the races from.
In 1884 was when racing first took place in the Plumpton racecourse. Thomas Henry Case was the one behind its success. In 1876, he founded the venue before introducing horse racing in 1884. The racecourse remained under his management until in 1961 when it was bought by Isidore Kerman. Kerman oversaw the course’s development, and made the necessary improvements needed to accommodate the ever-growing racecourse. However, in 1998, Plumpton was once again sold off to two men named Peter Savill and Adrian Pratt. The gentlemen oversaw its development and ensured its economic survival.
This year, the racecourse will be staging a good number of fixtures. On the 13th of May will be the Ladies Day. Advanced tickets for this event will be going for 10 Euros. Children under the age of 18 years will be admitted for free if they are accompanied by a paying adult. A minibus will be available to pick the racegoers up from the Brighton train station. The racecourse has good hospitality services, facilitating a comfortable stay to the racegoers.