Ripon Racecourse. Ripon racecourse is a horse racing track located in Ripon, England. It is owned and managed by the Ripon Race Company Ltd. The racecourse has been hosting race meetings for over 300 years now, and is well-known for hosting flat races. It is widely known as Yorkshire’s Garden Racecourse since it is situated in a peaceful and exciting atmosphere. The racecourse has a big permanent screen from which the racegoers can enjoy watching the races and replays. It has its own betting operator, enabling it to reinvest the money obtained from betting into its facilities. The racetrack is right-handed and oval in shape. It has three enclosures where the racegoers can view the races from-the course enclosure, which is situated in the middle of the race track, the Paddock Enclosure and the Club Stand.

The first race to be recorded at Ripon racecourse took place in 1664, with its venue being the Bondgate Green. In
1723, the course made history by staging the first race for lady riders. In 1900, the racecourse was relocated to Boroughbridge, which is its current venue. The first race meeting in the new venue was held on the 6th of August in the same year. It was voted for as the best small racecourse three times by the Racegoers Club.

The Ripon Champion Two Years Old Trophy is a notable race held in the racecourse. It takes place every August, being sponsored by the Irish Champions Weekend. Only horses aged two years are allowed to take part in the race. Another notable race taking place in the racecourse is the Great St. Wilfrid Stakes. It is sponsored by William Hill, and requires the horses to be three years and above in order to take part in the race. Ripon has a wide range of hospitality facilities, ranging from private boxes, suites and rooms for hire.

Chester Racecourse Chester racecourse is a horseracing track  located in Chester, Cheshire, England. It is famously known as the Rodee. The racecourse is owned and managed by Chester Race Company Ltd. Racing there dates way back to the sixteenth century, making it one of the most ancient racing tracks in England. Despite its small size of approximately 1.8 km in length, Chester attracts a tremendous crowd of about 250,000 people in the 15-event season that runs from
May to September. The races held there are strictly flat races. It is seated on a 65-acre piece of land on the banks of River Dee, making it a beautiful venue to watch the races from.

It is said that the ancient Romans established Chester as an anchorage point where they could access the Irish Sea from. This made it a busy trading port, and was later left abandoned as a public land after silt had covered it. Years later, it became a home for the Goteddsday football match, which was banned in 1533 for its violent nature. Horse racing was then introduced in 1539, and the first race was recorded in February of the same year. Since then, races have been taking place every year at Chester racecourse. In 2008, a restaurant was opened up in the racecourse named “1539”. This marked the year in which the first race took place there.

The most notable races held in the racetrack are the Chester Cup and the Cheshire Oaks. The Chester Cup is a handicap race, and was first run in the year 1824. It is run over a distance of 3,746km, and is only open to horses aged four years and above. Cheshire Oaks on the other hand was inaugurated in 1950. It takes place every May, and is open to horses aged three years. The race is run over a distance of 2,281 meters.

 

Fakenham Racecourse The Fakenham racecourse is a thoroughbred racing track for horses located in Fakenham, England. It is owned and operated by the Fakenham Racecourse Ltd. The racecourse is well known for hosting National Hunt races, and is a venue for the famous West Norfolk Hunt. The left-handed racetrack is fairly big having a circumference of 1 mile.

Racing in Fakenham racecourse has been taking place since 1884. The first race that ever happened there took place on an Eater Monday. This was after the racecourse was transferred from East Winch to West Winch due to problems caused by the heavy soil on the course. In 1905, another race meeting took place, attracting a total of 37 runners. Hurdle races were introduced into the racecourse in 1926. Races were held frequently in Fakenham till 1939 when it was affected by the World War outbreak. Racing however resumed back to normal in 1947, and a second meeting besides the Easter Monday one was introduced. This attracted a significant number of people, making it more popular. Renovations were done in 1965. The paddocks were enlarged, and a new grandstand built. These developments made it possible for the number of fixtures to increase from two to five.

Many changes have been taking place in the racecourse since it started hosting race meetings about 110 years ago. For example, it takes pride in its thriving Annual Membership which has put it a step ahead of many racecourses in the country. This year, it is set to host a number of events. On the 8th of May will be the Snellings Norfolk National. Entry badges for this event will be available for bookings online. Children under the age of 18 will be allowed to enter free in the company of a paying adult. Tickets start from 10 Euros, depending on the packages that one chooses for the event.