Pontefract racecourse is a horse racing track located in Pontefract, Yorkshire, England. It is owned and managed by the Pontefract Park Race Company Ltd. The course is left- handed, and is about 5km long, with the last three furlongs steeping up a hill, making the finish very challenging. The course hosts flat races, and is considered as the largest flat racing track in the whole of Europe. It is easily accessible by public transportation, making it convenient to most racegoers. By train, one can choose to either use the Glasshoughton orTanshelf station. Bus services are also available and run frequently from Pontefract to Castleford.
Racing at Pontefract racecourse began way back in 1648. Back then, races occurred at the meadows near Pontefract. They however ceased happening in 1769 due to unknown reasons, and resumed in 1801. Unlike other racecourses, Pontefract remained functional during the World War 2. It was used as a venue for important races such as Lincoln Handicaps. It became the first racecourse in 1952 to install a photo finish, but was among the last racecourses to stage evening meetings.
The most notable races held at Pontefract are the Pontefract Castle Stakes and the Pomfret Stakes. The Pontefract Castle Stakes takes pace every June, and it first happened in 2005. Only fillies and mares are allowed to take part in the race. Pomfret Stakes on the other hand is scheduled for every July. It first happened in 2004, but was run as a handicap race. This year, the racecourse will be holding a total of six fixtures, three of them being Evening meetings and the other three being Sunday Meetings. There will be live concerts, with the Bootleg Beatles performing on the 20th of July after the racing. The racecourse will also be hosting the annual Ladies Day on the 8th of August, where the best dressed lady will be awarded with a holiday for two to the Dominican Republic.
The Beverley racecourse is a thoroughbred racing track set in the stunningly beautiful surroundings of Beverly town, England. It is owned by Beverley Race Company Ltd, and hosts a series of right handed flat races annually, run over a distance of approximately one mile and three furlongs. The track has been functional for about 300 years now, making it one of the ancient racetracks in the country. Each year, Beverly racecourse is set to host a total of 19 race
meetings, with 11 of them featuring entertainment concerts. The races begin from April all the way to September, making it a perfect day out for families and friends.
The first annual race meeting to be held there was in the year 1767. Racing then stopped for a short period of time between 1798 and 1805 before resuming in the 19th century when three-day race meetings were held. The number of race meetings has since then been increasing steadily over the years, and in 2012, the racecourse hosted a total of 19 races. Examples of its notable races include the Hilary Needler Trophy and the Bullet Sprint Stakes. The Hilary Needler Trophy takes place every late May or early June, and is run over a distance of 1006 meters. The race is strictly meant for horses aged two years. Bullet Sprint Stakes on the other hand is scheduled to take each August, with horses aged three years and above taking part in it. It is also run over a distance of 1006 meters.
This year, a good number of fixtures are scheduled to take place with Bygone Beverley race day being the peak of them all. This event will be happening on the 7th of May. It will be perfect for a family day out. Tic-tac challenges,
traditional rides and other fun activities should be expected. Definitely the kind of place you want your kids in.
Musselbrough racecourse is located Musselbrough, Scotland. The course is situated near River Esk, and is known to be the biggest racecourse in the whole of Scotland, after Ayr racecourse. It was opened way back in 1816, and is among the few racecourses that host both flat and National Hunt races. Its strategic position makes it accessible to
many people, thus attracting a good number of racegoers to its race meetings. It is situated near the A1 and the Edinburgh City Bypass.
Racing was first recorded in Musselbrough racecourse in the year 1777. The meetings were then shifted to Leith between 1789 and 1816 before returning permanently to Musselbrough after being allocated land by the town council. The racecourse fared well until 1980 when it went bankrupt due to a reduced number of racegoers after the off course betting shops were legislated. This forced the East Lothian Council to take over its management from the Lothians Racing Syndicate Limited. In 1994, the Lothians Racing Syndicate and the East Lothian Council merged together and formed the Musselbrough Joint Racing Committee whose major role was to run the racecourse. In 1995, the committee came up with plans to refurbish the racecourse. A new hospitality stand and a weighing room
were erected. The Edwardian Grandstand was renovated, giving it a whole new look. Recently, the racecourse has invested a total of 140,000 Euros in an Owners and Trainers private place. The facility is exclusive, and is only meant
for horse owners and their trainers.
The most notable race staged Musselbrough racecourse is the Maggie Dickson Stakes. This is a flat race that allows in horses from age 3. It happens over 1,438 metres, and takes place every June. The initial run took place in 2017. Today, the racecourse takes pride in its annual attendance of 70,000 people, up from 1999’s 38,000, which is saying something.