Hereford racecourse is in Hereford, England. It belongs to Herefordshire Council and is run by the Arena Company. The racecourse is well-known for hosting National Hunt races. It was opened way back in 1771, and its first
recorded race meeting took place in the same year. It is rectangular in shape, measuring up to 1 mile and 3 furlongs. The racetrack is a suitable venue for anyone who is looking forward to starting their racing career. It has also been
used many times for preparations ahead of major racing competitions.
The racecourse had been staging flat racing since it was opened until in the year 1840 when it hosted the first National Hunt race. This made it one of the few racecourses in England to stage both flat and hurdle races, attracting a huge crowd of people to its races. It remained fully operational till 1939 when the outbreak of World War 2 forced its sudden closure. In 946, the racecourse re-opened, and racing resumed. A total of 14000 Euros were invested into it, and the Arena Racing Company obtained a land lease from Herefordshire Council. The course was renovated in 1960. Buildings were modernized and the racetracks improved. After its renovation, the number of race meetings held in a year increased from nine to fifteen. It was however closed down again in 2012 due to failure of the
Arena Racing Company to obtain a new lease from Herefordshire Council, but opened after four years with a crowd of 5,000 racegoers attending its first meeting.
Last year, Hereford staged a total of 11 National Hunt fixtures, with the first season running from January to March, and the second from October to December. This year, the course will be hosting a good number of events. For example, the Hereford Food Festival is scheduled to take place on the 9th of June, and a lot more follows.