Hexham racecourse is a thoroughbred racing track located in Hexam, England. It was opened way back in 1740, and is well known for hosting National Hunt races. The left-handed track is situated about two miles to the south of Hexham town, 800 feet above the sea level. Its location makes it the most preferred destination to most racegoers as it is engulfed with a cool serene environment with a natural amphitheater below its stands, providing an excellent view. The racecourse measures up to approximately 1.5 miles and has a total of ten fences per circuit.
Records show that racing took place in Hexham as from 1793. Due to unknown reasons, the races ceased happening for some years till in the early 1890 when a group of local gentlemen decided to reintroduce it. They turned to Charles Henderson, a rich businessman for help and he did not disappoint them. Mr. Henderson made it his
personal mission to revive and manage the racecourse, and by the beginning of 1890, the course was ready for use. Unlike other racecourses, Hexham did not close down after the break out of the World War 1.Instead, it continued to flourish as its facilities were improved. It also survived the World War 2 because it was used as a depot for ammunition by the War Department. Since then, the course has been undergoing improvements each year.
The most notable race run at Hexham is the Heart of All England Maiden Hunters’ Chase. This race takes place each late April or early May. It is run over a distance of 3 miles 1 furlong. It is regarded as a final cup for steeplechase.
offers choices of enclosures to the racegoers according to prices. There are
two types, the Club enclosure and the Paddock Enclosure. Charges for admissions
to Club enclosure are 18 Euros per head, while that of Paddock enclosure is 10